Sunday, August 1, 2010

Permanent Perfection: Why I use two different color formulas on one client

My boyfriend’s mom has been a client of mine for three years now.  She has been getting her hair colored for probably most of her adult life.  However, the first time I colored her hair she was amazed that I applied two separate formulas to her hair.  I was covering her gray, and making her hair lighter than her natural color, so I needed to use permanent color where her natural color was exposed.  I explained to her that the permanent haircolor formula that I was applying on her regrowth has ammonia in it, and that if I used the same formula on her ends that have already had ammonia on them before, it would potentially damage her hair.  Instead, I used a deposit-only color to refresh the previously colored ends.  Deposit-only color, sometimes called semi-permanent or demi-permanent, is usually very conditioning to the hair, and leaves it often more smooth and shiny than before the color service.   After I finished her hair that first time, she was thrilled with how healthy her hair looked and felt.  She called my boyfriend immediately after leaving the salon to tell him how great was!

Follow my blog with bloglovin

No comments: